Sunday, April 29, 2007

Hello Mr. Soul

Oh, Hello Mr. Soul,
I dropped by to pick up a reason
For the thought that I caught
That my head is the event of the season
Why in crowds just a trace of my face
Could seem so pleasin'
I'll cop out to the change,
But a stranger is putting the tease on.

I was down on a frown
When the messenger brought me a letter
I was raised by the praise of a fan
Who said I upset her
Any girl in the world could have easily
Known me better

She said, You're strange,
But don't change and I let her...

In a while will the smile
on my face turn to plaster?
Stick around while the clown
Who is sick does the trick of disaster
For the race of my head
And my face is moving much faster
Is it strange I should change?
I don't know, why don't you ask her?

Wasted and wounded, it ain't what the moon did,
I've got what I paid for now
See you tomorrow, hey Frank, can I borrow
A couple of bucks from you
To go waltzing Mathilda, waltzing Mathilda,
You'll go waltzing Mathilda with me

No, I don't want your sympathy, the fugitives say,
That the streets aren't for dreaming now
Manslaughter dragnets & the ghosts that sell memories,
They want a piece of the action anyhow
Go waltzing Mathilda, waltzing Mathilda,
You'll go waltzing Mathilda with me


I don't know a soul who's not been battered
I don't have a friend who feels at ease
I don't know a dream that's not been shattered
Or driven to its knees, but it's alright,
It's alright,
for we lived so well so long
Still, when I think of the road we're traveling on
I wonder what's gone wrong, I can't help but wonder
What's gone wrong

And I dreamed I was dying
I dreamed that my Soul Rose unexpectedly
And looking back down at me smiled reassuringly
And I dreamed I was flying
And high up above my eyes could clearly see
The Statue of Liberty sailing away to sea

And I dreamed I was flying
We come on the ship they call the Mayflower
We come on the ship that sailed the moon
We come in the age's most uncertain hours
And sing an American Tune
Oh, and it's alright, it's alright, it's alright
You can't be forever blessed
Still, tomorrow's going to be another working day
And I'm trying to get some rest
That's all I'm trying to get some rest

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

. .